Monday, May 25, 2009

LUMDING STATION



Lumding Railway Station is a place that always remains closed to my heart. It was the place I had to cross atleast twice daily as I had to cross it to go and return from school. It was the place we used to eat Dosa, I remember. A small town life can be exciting enough if simplicity remains there in heart. I now thinks those were the golden days of my life.



I still remember when me, Kanai, Chandu (Prasenjit Das), Raghu (Biplob Nandy) used to go to wheeler in the station everyday in the evening, to buy a copy of Assam Tribune.



Lumding Station is the first lesson of communication to most of the children of Lumding still now, as train is the only means of communication leaving aside the erratic and painful bus service to nearby areas like Diphu, Lanka, Hojai, Nagaon etc. So, we are the generation who grew up knowing that Indian Railways is the safest, luxurious and the only mode of travelling out of station!
Railway Station is a place where one would find people from different segments, classes of society, having altogether different viewpoints about society! So-called "High Class" (read railway officials and businessmen of the town) to labour class people from Gadhi Nagar to "Coolie Patty", Lumding Station is for everyone.



For many of us it the place where we had got our first lesson of psychology.
I still remember my first journey through "PAHAR LINES" i.e. the NC HILLS section of NFR ( Northeastern Frontier Railways). The scenic route passes through beautiful hill valleys, miles after miles of wild bamboo orchards, wild banana orchards. The beauty of NC Hills is beyond any description. The platform no.1 is alloted for MG Train (Meter Gauze train) towards Silchar through "pahar lines". So many memories are there with Lumding Station that it is impossible to forget it's charm.



REALLY HOME REMAINS ALWAYS A SWEET HOME AND I MISS LUMDING SO MUCH.



"ONCE A LUMDINIAN.....
FOREVER A LUMDINIAN..."


...subhankar karmakar

No comments: